Sunday, June 7, 2009

An admission

I have just arrived in Granada after about 18 hours in Córdoba, where we saw the Great Mosque and the Alcazar before dashing off to catch the 7:20 to Granada.

This was the second time I'd seen the mosque, but it left me as speechless as before. I know it's not the most fashionable position but I really don't dislike the 16th-century cathedral that sits in the center of the mosque. It's violent and awful in some way, but I can't get myself to hate it. Is that ok?

1 comment:

  1. I think that's alright I think. We can't change what has happened. Although the history of the sight lacks peace, to say it modestly, the outcome has created an amazing architectural effect from dark to light under a single roof. The cathedral speaks many stories within its craftsmanship and pays some respects to the previous mosque it interupts, a little kinder than total erasure I suppose.

    ReplyDelete